Sunday, August 31, 2008

Gustav is on his way in and there are preparations going on all over Baton Rouge--some to evacuate, but most of us here are not in a flood plain and we are the places that a lot of our southern family and friends evacuate to. So we'll stick and ride it out.

My house is about a half a mile from the Mississippi River levee, something I never thought about pre-Katrina, and really, I don't think about it as a worry as much as it simply there, a giant earthen wall that quietly affects where or not my house is flooded. I'm sure pre-Katrina, everyone there felt about the same about their own levees.

We have seen a lot of PTSD type of symptoms in people normally very calm--nerves, to sitting down and wanting to cry. If you were one of those people stuck in a hospital, for instance, it can be very traumatizing to relive those days again... especially if you're working in another hospital.

For now, it seems like our family is pretty well taken care off. Everyone has food and supplies, fuel, generators (or a place to go which has them), lots of the basics, like batteries. Most everything outside that could be picked up by high winds and turned into a missile has been picked up and stored away.

I imagine we'll take photos as the storm progresses. I didn't get many photos of Andrew when it came through here in 92 -- it came up through almost the same route and when it hit Louisiana, it was a CAT 3, and it looks like Gustav will hit at a CAT 4. (I know it's going to increase to a 5, but there is speculation that it'll hit at a 4 because it'll slow down and cool off slightly those last few miles nearest the coast.) Fingers crossed for a miracle that it stalls out there and falls apart, instead of coming ashore.

I will also be Twittering. In the case of loss of electricity, we have a generator hooked up. If the DSL holds like it did last time during Katrina, I'll be updating sporadically here.

4 Comments:

Blogger Toni said...

Thinking of you guys. I hope Gustav slows down before hitting, too. Hey, I'm on Twitter too--frageelay. Hang in there, y'all. Toni (in IL)

August 31, 2008 at 6:40 AM  
Blogger Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Sending great vibes your way. We met a great couple from Baton Rouge on our Yellowstone trip over New Year's; they're fine, I'm sure, but still...

Scary stuff, this nature is.

August 31, 2008 at 11:02 AM  
Blogger Tori Lennox said...

I have family near Lake Charles, so you're all in my prayers. Stay safe!

August 31, 2008 at 11:56 AM  
Blogger Terri Molina said...

Glad to hear you won't be on the bad end of Gustav's fury. I was in Houston during the Rita fiasco and didn't evac either.
Anyway, the text I'd sent was just to send you well wishes as you wait out the storm. Hope all stays safe!

August 31, 2008 at 4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home