Saturday, June 27, 2009

banana nutbread recipe

I gave this recipe out to a friend, who loved it. *We* love it, too, and my mom gave me permission to post it here. 

Jerry McGee's* banana nut bread recipe:

2 c. sugar
1/2 c butter (or oleo)
2 eggs
2 c. flour
1 and 1/2 tsp. baking soda  (put soda into milk & stir well)
1/2 c butter milk (I use regular milk and add about 1 tsp. vinegar, stir well & let sit a minute or two before I add the soda to it)
1 c. chopped pecans (I usually use Bergeron pecans, don't know if it matters)
3 ripe bananas (very ripe, soft but not too mushy - skin spotty brown)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 or 1 tsp cinnamon

Soften or melt butter in microwave, add sugar & mix til sugar is absorbed, then add eggs, mix well, add flour & milk (with baking soda in it), stir.  Mash bananas thoroughly, add bananas, pecans, vanilla & cinnamon to other mixture, mix just until blended together.

Spray pans with Pam, bake at 325 degrees, approximately 1 hr.

This makes 6 of the breads the size I gave you (I use the silicone pan you gave me one year, has six pans in it with a rack included)  
Fill pans about 1/3 to 1/2 full - divide batter evenly between the six pans.  

If you use the individual small pans, I put them all on a baking sheet so it's easier to take them in & out of the oven.

Can put all the batter in a bundt pan to make a cake.  Or you can put it in 2 regular loaf pans.

Of course the smaller the pan, the faster it cooks,  For small pans should start checking it in about 45 minutes.  Can take it out of the oven & stick a toothpick in the thickest parts to see if it's done.  If the toothpick comes out sticky, needs to cook longer!

Good luck! 


*She added that she'd found a recipe in a cookbook somewhere and altered it to suit her tastes. That's been years ago, so if someone comes across the original somewhere, let me know.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jenifer said...

#1 Thank you (and your mom) for this recipe!
#2 It's really, really good.
#3 I truly don't recommend forgetting to add flour. If you do, it may look like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeniferm/3673997562/

Thankfully, I had enough batter left over to add some flour and continue baking. Six bananas suddenly became 15 muffins, but it could have been worse.

My favorite part of the recipe was the reference to pans you'd given previously. :)

June 29, 2009 at 8:00 PM  
Blogger Toni McGee Causey said...

Jenifer -- oops! I totally cut and pasted that. ;) Well, I need to go find those pans online and post a photo so people know what the heck we're talking about, huh?

But they were the typical small bread loaf sized baking pan. ;)

June 30, 2009 at 6:31 PM  
Blogger Kim (Randominities) said...

This sounds a lot like my fave recipe for banana bread except for the buttermilk. I will have to try it with the buttermilk! Thanks so much.
By the way, I just wanted you to know that by having contests, yes people do read your blog. I'm glad I joined your mailing list.

July 17, 2009 at 5:20 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this recipe! I have been trying to find a perfect banana bread recipe for years!

July 19, 2009 at 3:55 AM  
Blogger tholix said...

Toni, I just found your site to check out your books, and came across your blog also...and boy am I glad I did : )
Give your mom a big hug for me and my four children who all LOVE Banana Nutbread... I have been wanting a really good recipe and I think I've found it...YUM !
Thank you for sharing it with us : )

July 20, 2009 at 8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home